Each month, Craig and Mark from Irish music website Fractured Air will curated an exclusive mix on Blogothèque with old favourites, new comers, excerpts of interviews and premieres.
– Listen to previous episodes –
Welcome to part three of our monthly mix series.
Presented in this month’s mix is the first in our new series of exclusive tracks which will be submitted by guest musicians each month. For March, we include “In the fields”, an exclusive unreleased track by independent music stalwart Benoît Pioulard (Seattle-based musician Thomas Meluch). Since the release of his debut opus Précis (via world-renowned Chicago-based Kranky in 2006), Meluch has amassed an incredible body of work, comprising both solo and collaborative recordings. Most recently, Meluch released the debut self-titled album under his Perils guise – Meluch’s collaboration with Canadian composer Kyle Bobby Dunn – as well as Sonnet, his most recent solo full-length and the solo E.P. Noyaux. Meluch has released music on some of independent music’s finest and most esteemed labels including: Kranky, Morr Music, Desire Path Recordings and Type.
Opening this month’s mix is the fascinating Walt Whitman-inspired collaborative E.P. Leaves Of Grass – thanks to Berlin-based Morr Music – where Iggy Pop reads excerpts taken from Whitman’s legendary poetry collection of the same name, while German musicians Carsten Nicolai (Alva Noto) together with Ronald Lippok and Bernd Jestram (Tarwater) provide the intriguing musical accompaniment.
Elsewhere, we have selections from: Munich-based producer Skee Mask’s Junt E.P.; Canadian violinist and composer Sarah Neufeld’s glorious new solo album The Ridge; peerless U.K. producer Chris Clark; A Pleasure’s essential debut L.P. Minor Youth for Other People; Kevin Morby (ex bassist to Woods)’s masterful symphonic Dead Oceans full-length Singing Saw and Irish/U.S. super-group The Gloaming make their triumphant return with 2 (via Real World Records). Meanwhile, even Dale Cooper, resident FBI Special Agent to Twin Peaks, makes a guest cameo somewhere before the dust settles.
01. Iggy Pop / Tarwater / Alva Noto – “As Adam Early In The Morning / I Am He That Aches With Love” (Morr Music)
02. Anna Homler & Steve Moshier – “Yesh’ Te” (RVNG Intl)
03. Julien Neto – “Questionable Things” (Type)
04. Benoît Pioulard – “In The Fields” (Unreleased)
05. Perils – “The Unbecoming” (Desire Path Recordings)
06. The Gentleman Losers – “Silver Mountain” (Büro)
07. Vashti Bunyan – “Here Before” (FatCat)
08. Max Richter – “Path 5” (Clark Remix) (Deutsche Grammophon)
09. Clark – “Hide on the Treads 3” (The Last Panthers OST, Warp)
10. Mikael Seifu – “The Protectors” (RVNG Intl)
11. A Pleasure – “Arthur Russel” (Other People)
12. Skee Mask – “Junt” (Ilian Tape)
13. Prins Thomas – “E” (Smalltown Supersound)
14. Odd Nosdam – “Sisters” (Boards of Canada Remix) (Leaving)
15. Arthur Russell – “Habit Of You” (Audika, Rough Trade)
16. Woo – “A Complex Art” (Drag City)
17. Kevin Morby – “I Have Been to the Mountain” (Dead Oceans)
18. Bullion – “Dip Your Foot” (DEEK Recordings)
19. Rayon – “Il Collo e la Collana 02” (Alien Transistor)
20. Mary Lattimore – “The Quiet at Night” (Ghostly International)
21. The Gloaming – “Fáinleog (Wanderer)” (Real World)
22. Sarah Neufeld – “Where the Light Comes In” (Paper Bag)
Fractured Air is an online music webzine based in Cork, Ireland, which focuses on the best of independent music. Having started in July 2012, Fractured Air offers in-depth interviews, insightful reviews, original artwork and frequent mixes (including guest mixes), spanning the broad spectrum of today’s independent music scene.
Compiled by Fractured Air, March 2016.
The copyright in these recordings is the property of the individual artists and/or record labels.
If you like the music, please support the artist by buying their records.