Each month, Craig and Mark from Irish music website Fractured Air will curated an exclusive mix on Blogothèque with old favourites, new comers, excerpts of interviews and premieres.
– Listen to previous episodes –
Part Two of our mix series for La Blogothèque. We’ve tried to include something here from as many of our favourite labels as possible.
Also included is a short excerpt from an interview we did with the legendary Los Angeles-based folk singer Linda Perhacs (to coincide with the release of her second solo LP The Soul Of All Natural Things on Asthmatic Kitty in 2014). We were both struck by how vivid Linda’s recollections were of Parallelograms, an album made some forty years previously. On listening to her speaking so eloquently and precisely about her fabled 1970 folk classic, she could well have been reflecting on memories formed mere minutes ago, or so it seemed. We found it touching (and comforting) realising that it had made such an indelible mark on her over all these intervening years, an impact that has similarly been shared by each and every listener fortunate enough to have discovered the magic of “Parallelograms” for themselves.
February’s mix also comprises a few original scores to films (Belladonna of Sadness, #HORROR, Mistress America and Mustang) where each soundtrack certainly conveys a very singular mood and spirit for their respective subjects (and films).
While it’s a little foolish to single out a particular song/artist (isn’t that the complete opposite of what a mixtape is supposed to be?), we would like to conclude by mentioning someone very special whom we only recently discovered: Tia Blake (thanks to Josh Rosenthal’s gorgeous book The Record Store of the Mind); her sole album was 1971’s Folksongs And Ballads (by Tia Blake and her folk-group), a most beautiful and precious thing indeed.
Fractured Air 02 – February 2016 (La Blogothèque Mix)
01. Fire! – “She Bid a Meaningless Farewell” (Rune Grammofon)
02. Dawn of Midi – “Ijiraq” (Erased Tapes)
03. nonkeen – “chasing god through palmyra” (R&S)
04. 1115 – “The Drowned World I” (Alien Transistor)
05. Julia Holter – “Vasquez” (Domino)
06. Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith – “Arthropoda” (Western Vinyl)
07. Cool Maritime – “Spring” (Leaving)
08. Linda Perhacs – Interview (excerpt) (Fractured Air)
09. Linda Perhacs – “Parallelograms” (Kapp/Sunbeam)
10. Jóhann Jóhannsson with Hildur Guðnadóttir & Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe – “End of Summer Part 4” (excerpt) (Sonic Pieces)
11. Bob Dylan – “Father Of Night” (Columbia)
12. Lubomyr Melnyk – “Sunshimmers” (Erased Tapes)
13. Lee Hazlewood – “Hands” (MGM, Ace)
14. Masahiko Sato – “Valle Incantata” (Belladonna of Sadness OST, Finders Keepers)
15. The Fabulous Luckett Brothers – “Help Me to Carry On” (Honest Jon’s)
16. A Hawk And A Hacksaw – “Wedding Theme (Ukraine)” (LM Dupli-Cation)
17. Calexico – “When Only The Ashes Are Left” (Our Soil, Our Strength)
18. Thomas Köner – “Tiento de la Luz 4” (excerpt) (Denovali)
19. Ricardo Donoso – “Morning Criminal” (Denovali)
20. EMA – “Amnesia Haze (Vox & Guitar Only)” (#HORROR OST, City Slang)
21. Dean Wareham & Britta Phillips – “Mistress America” (Mistress America OST, Milan)
22. Alex Smoke – “Fair Is Foul” (R&S)
23. Lord RAJA – “Footwork” (Ghostly International)
24. Roly Porter – “In System” (Tri Angle)
25. Warren Ellis – “Mustang” (Mustang OST, Milan)
26. Tia Blake – “The Rising of the Moon” (Water)
27. Langley Schools Music Project – “Space Oddity” (Bar/None)
28. Qluster – “In deinen Händen” (Bureau B)
Fractured Air is an online music webzine based in Cork, Ireland, which focuses on the best of independent music. Having started in July 2012, Fractured Air offers in-depth interviews, insightful reviews, original artwork and frequent mixes (including guest mixes), spanning the broad spectrum of today’s independent music scene.
Compiled by Fractured Air, February 2016.
The copyright in these recordings is the property of the individual artists and/or record labels.
If you like the music, please support the artist by buying their records.